Friday, December 3, 2010

Health Insurance (angry post)

Through the Auxiliares de Conversación program I am provided health insurance through a company called Mapfre Familiar while in Spain.  When I arrived, my school was supposed to have received a packet about my health insurance information and my card.  However, they never did because a week into my stay in Spain they asked me for a copy of my insurance card and I said I didn't have one yet and that I had been told my school was supposed to receive the card.  That week I had made a trip to the Consejería de Educación (part of the Global Ministry of Education in Spain that funds the program that I am in) to drop of documents concerning my NIE (temporary residence card).  The lady that I spoke with told me that my school should be receiving my medical card but in the meantime if I had any medical emergencies she gave me a number to call that would be able to help me.

Fast forward to two weeks ago when my school finally receives my medical insurance packet.  They are sent an email detailing my account number and the directions are for ME to call them and give them the number in the email and confirm my address.  So I call them and granted my spanish is still rusty I am told that they don't have my medical card- that supposedly it was already send on Nov.3rd to my school.  What?  So I go back to my school and tell this to José María, the director of the English Dept. that handles everything dealing with the auxiliares de conversación in our school.  He calls the insurance himself and finds out that I was right- they did send the medical card to the school but the school never received it.  So he tells them to send ANOTHER card but this time to my apartment address.

Fast forward to yesterday.  I check my mailbox and there is mail addressed to me!  I open it to find about four sheets of paper from the medical insurance company and no card.  The sheets of paper with info regarding my policy are sheets that I already have that I already received with my information packet.

So six weeks into being in Spain and I still don't have an official medical card.  I can only imagine how José María is going to respond to this next week when I tell him.  

No comments:

Post a Comment