Friday, February 25, 2011

Spain: The country that stares

This time in Spain I have come to notice HOW much people stare here.  I don't think I noticed it as much in Toledo since it is so much smaller than Madrid but it is very evident in this city.  It's not just on the metro when people often have nothing better to do than stare, it's everywhere.  People stare here about 3-5 seconds longer than socially appropriate and then will continue after that.  It has come to make me believe that as children their parents never taught them that staring is rude.  I am not innocent, I stare sometimes like everyone else, but I always do it discretely, making sure the person I am staring at doesn't notice.  In addition, prior to common belief that people might look at me because I look American....no, not true.  In fact people don't think I am American unless I am with one of my blonde, American friends.  I am also not the only one to notice this.  Even one of my Spanish friends told me when she was in the U.S. that people stared far LESS than Spain. Maybe it's just their culture.  Though I don't understand how staring can be considered a good thing.  I would say that most of the time it is rude.  I try and do my part and avoid staring at people.  Maybe one of these times a Spaniard will get the clue.

No comments:

Post a Comment