Friday, February 25, 2011

Pet Peeve: Picking up after your dog!

I know I live in a big city, where there is far less "green" area than cement but I think it is still your job to clean up after your dog.  In Madrid, many of the roads are cobblestone or cement and at night they are usually washed down with a hose.  For some reason I think this gives people the impression that they don't have to clean up their dog's poop.  You would NOT believe how much dog poop there is on the sidewalks... frankly, its pretty disgusting.  I spend my time looking down constantly while I am walking to avoid stepping it it.  Often it is already smeared down the sidewalk from some poor person that didn't see it.  This past week, for the FIRST time since I arrived, I saw a lady pick up after her dog.  I was appalled.  It made me happy but it also made me wish more Spaniards would follow her lead and do the same.  I remember having a discussion with my high school class about this very thing and when the teacher asked a few of the students whether they picked up after their dog they boldly said "no."  Why?  Because they didn't feel the need to.  Maybe people don't get fined here for doing that or just assume that it will get washed away at night by the water power hoses.  Well whatever the reason, it is certainly disappointing.  I hate EVERY single day having to dodge or jump over dog poop because someone was too lazy to pick it up.  I think if you have an animal that you walk outside, it is not only your duty, but your responsibility to clean up after it.  If you can't do that than you shouldn't be a pet owner.

No comments:

Post a Comment