Thursday, April 14, 2011

The Lost Package (five months later)

Once again we return to the lost package....a case in which had completely boggled my mind.  How could a large box simply get lost in the mail?  Of course I could understand how a letter or a postcard could get lost but a large box?  One of my spanish friends here told me to not throw away my mismatched pair of shoes in the event that the package might show up before I leave Spain.  I told her, "I don´t understand.  How could it arrive months after it was delivered?"  But she was right.....




So here we are in April.  On Monday (April 10th) my package....the one POSTMARKED from November 17th arrived at my school.  whaaaat?  It was simply laughable to receive the package at this point, nearly FIVE months after it was sent.  But sure enough it arrived.  And with no explaination as to why it had taken so long either.  The front desk simply told me,"It just arrived now."  Thats all they said.  I couldn´t believe it.

So to my understanding...because I don´t see any other reasonable explaination, the package was most likely sitting in the post office for the past 4.5 months because they were too lazy to deliver it.  What if there had been something really important in that package?  Perhaps an important document or a medical prescription.  If a package took that long to deliver in the US I could probably file an official complaint and receive some sort of compensation. 

Though in all honesty I am mostly just laughing at the facts.  Only in Spain does a package take five months to deliver.  It´s hardly something to be angry about since there hadn´t been anything that important or unreplaceable, I should say, in the package.  In addition I had simply accepted the fact that I would never see it again.  I had assumed it was lost or stolen and that I would never see it again.  Plus, better late than never???  I´m just glad it arrived now rather than in July when I had already left Spain.  And I was so thrilled that I was receiving this long-awaited package [finally] that I couldn´t be upset.  I was gleeming from ear to ear, while carrying this huge box down the street covered in US red, white and blue postal tape. 

I ended up carrying this large box nearly a mile since it´s probably half a mile from my school to the metro station and then another half a mile from the metro station to my apartment.  My arms were shaking and weak by the time I had finally lugged it into my apartment.  I tore it open and found many wonderful things:  two of my favorite movies, Love Actually and Almost Famous, two sweatshirts, TEN boxes of Kraft macaroni and cheese, a book, a recipe for pumpkin pie, 3 boxes of Nerds candy, a box of sweetart candy canes (which were almost all broken), 2 bags of Reeses (trees and christmas bells)-surprisingly these still tasted good, vanilla flavoring, three packages of taco seasoning and the pair of mismatched shoes....though ironically I had my parents take MY mismatched pair home with them about two weeks ago.  Now I have the OTHER mismatched pair....which I can do absolutely nothing with, haha.

In the end I at least have a hilarious story to tell...about the package that took five months to receive!

No comments:

Post a Comment